Homemade Sugar Daddies
Hello fellow Crafty Baketresses! Today’s post is all about making your own Sugar Daddies! Okay, so they are not “real” Sugar Daddies, just caramel on a stick. :-) Basically you are making caramels, cutting them, and putting them on lollipop sticks. Everyone who has tried them absolutely loves them! I found this awesome caramels recipe on allrecipes.com last year and have been hooked every since.
Store Sugar Daddies in the refrigerator.
- wax paper
- cookie sheet/pan deep enough to hold the caramel, about 1 inch deep
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pizza cutter
- lollipop sticks
- candy thermometer
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup cream and butter.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often, then stir in remaining 1 cup cream.
- Heat, without stirring, to 242 degrees F (116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Immediately pour into the wax paper-lined cookie pan and refrigerate until cool.
- When cool, remove the caramel and the wax paper from the cookie pan and put onto a flat surface. Begin cutting “strips” of caramel with the pizza cutter. The caramel should be about 1 inch wide and roughly 3-4 inches long.
- On a separate sheet of wax paper begin molding a strip of caramel with your fingers. The heat of your fingers helps the molding process, if at any time the caramel becomes too soft just pop it into the fridge for about 20 mins, or so.
- Insert a lollipop stick about 1/2 way into the caramel.
- Pinch and mold the bottom the caramel to the lollipop stick so it will not slip off, then simply wrap each Sugar Daddy in wax paper.
- If you leave them out they will begin to lose their shape, just keep them refrigerated.
This recipe makes A LOT of caramel, at one point I stopped making Sugar Daddies and just wrapped the remaining caramel in wax paper.
Thanks for reading, enjoy!